||7 December 2013, 6:13|
Recreational and tourist resources of the Oryol Region
The Oryol Region has a considerable potential for the development of tourism. Today in the Region there are 9 tour operator companies, 107 tourist agencies, 23 hotels, 4 sanatoria, a boarding house, 15 children’s health centers, a number of tourist bases. The total number of rooms available on the 1st of January 2012 was about 1560 rooms which can simultaneously accommodate up to 2 800 people.
The tourist peculiarity of the Oryol Region is defined both by its geography and history. From the point of view of its geography the territory of the Region is unique due to the watershed of three river basins – the Desna, Volga and Don, which has created ideal opportunities for by-land travel. Now the Region is characterized by a variety of relief, climatic zones, flora and fauna, significant recreational potential.
In ancient times the Oryol area turned out to be separated from the centers of the Russian State system, and the religious, cultural and social trends of capitals took long in getting there. Only as late as in the XIVth century the area was Christened and included into the Russian State. And due to this late loss of independence the unique folk crafts with pagan roots were preserved. A lot of folk song, rite traditions had been preserved on the territory of the Oryol region, which were an inspiration for a whole galaxy writers, poets, philosophers, artists, who glorified not only the Oryol Region but Russia in general.
The national part “Orlovskoye Poles’ye” does a lot for the development of natural-ecological tourism in the Oryol Region (its area is 77,7 thousand hectares). A melting glacier brought the thinnest sand and much water to these lands. Here we can find sand-hills and dunes up to 10 meters high. The largest lakes are Bolshoye, Staroye, Obmezh, Tsentralnoye and Ryasnik. The flora of the national park consists of more than 900 species, among which 130 are rare and endangered ones. On the territory of the park there are animals included into the Red Book: fish eagle, harrier eagle, gray shrike, European middle-sized woodpecker, black stork, gigantic owl, Russian musk-rat, European bison. In the forests of the park one can meet 180 bisons living wild life. There is an enclosure zoo open for the visitors in which more than 30 species of various animals and birds are kept in spacious open-air cages.
“Orlovskoye Poles’ye” is inseparable from the name of I. S. Turgenev. There the characters of his “Hunter’s Sketches” lived. And here the writer himself, for weeks on end, wandered with his gun and a dog in the depths of the forest, along “the boggy rivers Vytebet and Shkovka”.
Today the guests of the National Park are welcome to stay at two hotel complexes (“Orlovskoye Poles’ye” and “Forester’s House”), which are very popular for organization of weddings and for spending holidays in a secluded place.
The Oryol Region’s rich folk traditions and folk crafts – Orlovsky spis (a kind of local embroidery technique), clay chernyshenskaya and pleshkovskaya toys – have been preserved thanks to the Region’s remoteness from the centers of the State system.
Today the trip from Moscow to Oryol takes 4,5 hours by train. In Oryol tourists can be accommodated in 10 hotels with categories up to five stars.
Oryol attracts tourists with its literary museums of I. S. Turgenev, I. A. Bunin, N. S. Leskov, L. N. Andreev, T. N. Granovsky. The Military-historical museum and the home museum of the polar researcher V. A. Rusanov are popular too.
The main literary place of interest of the Oryol Region is State memorial and natural museum-preserve of I. S. Turgenev “Spasskoye-Lutovinovo”. Besides the home-museum it includes the church of God’s Transfiguration, where on January 15, 1816 the parents of I. S. Turgenev were married. Near the church there is an old cemetery with the family vault. On the household yard there is a stable, a coach barn, a harness shed, a bathhouse and a cellar. Not far from the memorial house there is a 1-storeyed outhouse. There Ivan Sergeyevich lived in the period of his exile in 1852-1853. Around the house there is a magnificent park located on 83 hectares, the alleys of densely growing lime-trees go down in terraces to the pond. About 2000 of one and two century old trees have been preserved since the foundation of the park.
Especially many visitors come to the museum on the last Saturday of June, when the traditional Turgenev festival is held. The other important event in the Turgenev calendar is the 9th of November – the writer’s birthday, to which traditionally opening of a new museum exhibition is timed.
Ancient Bolkhov is situated far from railways and at the same time at approximately the same distance from the other centers of tourism of the Oryol Region. .
For the first time the city was mentioned in the chronicles in 1196. By the middle of the XVIIIth century there were more than 4000 merchants in Bolkhov. By 1891 the population of Bolkhov reached 26,8 thousand people, 230 enterprises were in operation. There were 28 parish churches, St. Trinity Optin Monastery and God’s Mother’s and All-Saints nunnery.
The absence of railway communication, its provincial position preserved its color of pre-revolutionary merchants’ city and the traditional city building-up. Recently many churches and monasteries and nunneries have been restored and opened for parishioners.
One of the main places of interest of Bolkhov is the Trinity Optin of the God’s Mother’s Birth monastery, the oldest building which has been preserved in the Oryol Region.
The popularity and the prosperity of the monastery are connected with the Miloslavskies, whose patrimony – village Ilyinskoye – was located three versts away from Bolkhov. The owner of the village was Ilya Miloslavsky (1595 – 1668). His daughters Maria and Anna became wives of the Tsar Alexey Romanov and boyar Boris Morozov. In 1668 the Tsar and the Tsarina started construction of St. Trinity’s church, which still exists. All its crosses are crowned. Under its vaults St. Makariy (Glukharev, 1792-1847) – the missioner of Altai, the translator of sacred Old Testament books, the archimandrite of the Trinity monastery is buried.
The most worshiped in the monastery relic of Bolkhov is the icon of Tikhvin God’s Mother, which appeared here.
One of the traditional places of pilgrimage – the village Spas-Chekryak not for from Bolkhov – is the place of asceticism of Georgy Kossov. Now there is a hermitage here, a holy spring has been equipped with necessary facilities, it was blessed by Father Georgy, there is a chapel on the place of a stone-walled church and the grave of the Saint.
As pilgrimage tourism has been developing, the hotel “Bolkhovskaya starina/ Bolkhov old times” was opened. Some part of the hotel rooms reconstructs the atmosphere and everyday life conditions of a provincial merchants’ city.
Especially many guests visit Bolkhov for the God’s Mother’s Birth, on the 21st of September and on the City’s Day – the 29th of July.
Another famous city – Mtsensk – appeared at the place of an ancient settlement of Vyatichs (ancient tribe which lived on this territory). Here an ancient local craft – Mtsensk lace- has been preserved, there is a school of lace-makers, a museum of lace. 19 km from Mtsensk (35 km from Oryol) there is a sanatorium - preventorium “Mtsensk”, which is especially popular in wintertime as a mountain skiing resort. It can accommodate 236 people. The accommodation is available in rooms for 1, 2, 3 people and rooms “de luxe” . Three meals a day are offered in two restaurant halls. The zone of skiing consists of 10 routs (2 lighted ones) of the total length of about 12 thousand meters, which are serviced with 10 rope tows. The over-falls of the heights in the skiing zone are up to 80 meters. There is a rent service of sports equipment of the company “Salomon”. The boarding house has a good medical base for the rehabilitation of the diseases of cardiovascular system and gastrointestinal tract, chronic diseases of respiratory system, kidneys and urinary tracts, nervous diseases and loco-motor system. The section of mud-cures uses the mud of the resort “Krainka”. There are rooms for massage, physical therapy, inhalation, electrical treatment, water therapy and therapeutic exercises. At the boarding house there is a cinema-concert hall, a big roofed swimming pool, a sauna, an open-air tennis-court, billiards, a playroom for children.
The Oryol Region has a rich recreational potential and offers curative programs which can meet any requirements.
The sanatorium “Dubrava” is located in a woodland on the approaches to Oryol (7 km), near a lake. It can accommodate 220 people. The sanatorium specializes in treatment of a large scale of diseases, including the disorders of blood circulation, digestion, loco-motor system, nervous system, cerebral spastic infantile paralysis, gynecology. A good treatment-diagnostic base, facilities for water treatment, mud treatment, a hall for therapeutic exercise are available; highly qualified specialists examine the patients. The visitors are accommodated in rooms for 1 and 2 people with all modern conveniences and “de luxe” rooms. The guests have sports equipment, a video-hall, a sauna and a library at their disposal. For those who rest with children there is a children’s playroom available.
The sanatorium-preventorium “Lesnoy” can accommodate 157 people and specializes in treatment of the diseases of loco-motor system, inhalation system, digestion, cardiovascular system, kidneys and urinary tracts, metabolism, gynecology. The guests are accommodated in rooms for 1, 2 people with all modern conveniences. A swimming pool, a sauna, a hall for therapeutic exercise are available.
The boarding house “Mechta/Dream” is a modern hotel complex, located in a wonderful mixed forest on a picturesque lake shore not far from Oryol, its category is 3 stars. Its hospitable staff, comfortable rooms, delicious food and unforgettable nature create all conditions both for family and corporative rest. The guests have at their disposal a restaurant with dishes of Russian and European cuisine, a banquet hall, a summer restaurant facing a pine forest and the lake, Russian and American billiards, a sauna with a mini-swimming pool, a paintball site, a parking, a children’s town. In wintertime there is a skating-rink on the lake and skiing routs in the forest in wait for the guests of the Region, in summertime – a modern beach with comfortable deck-chairs and a children’s zone, a rent service of boats and catamarans. One of the guidelines of the activity of the boarding house “Mechta” is organization and conduction of conferences, business meetings, seminars. At the boarding house a comfortable conference-hall, equipped with up-to-date multimedia is available.
The children’s sanatorium “Orlovchanka” can accommodate and provide treatment to 400 children. It specializes in treatment of heart diseases, cerebral spastic infantile paralysis, gastritis, pyelonephritis, eye diseases. The visitors are accommodated in rooms for 3 – 4 people, the facilities being located on the corridor. The children can spend their free time in a swimming pool, sauna, a hall for therapeutic exercise. There are facilities for massage and physical therapy available.
Copyright © 2009. Staff of the Governor and Chairman of the Government of the Oryol region.
Designed by © Studio ArtQ.